The International Ice Hockey Federation has been asked to suspend Hockey Canada as outcry grows over the national sports body’s handling of sexual abuse allegations.
In a letter dated Oct. 5, the North American Division of the World Ice Hockey Players Association (WAIPU), said Hockey Canada was in violation of IIHF regulations, calling on the international federation to take immediate action. .
Hockey Canada — Other sponsors cut ties as group ‘continues to resist’ change
Hockey Canada: Other sponsors sever ties as group ‘continues to resist’ change
“Given the alarming events that have been uncovered globally since May 3, 2022, not limited to the numerous sexual assaults over the decades and the alleged misappropriation of funds from Canadian trust funds, it is imperative that the IIHF is taking action,” Sandra Slater, president of WAIPU North America, said in the letter shared with Global News on Friday.
WAIPU also insisted that a new National Sport Organization (NSO) application be received from Canada.
“We now call on the IIHF to act in accordance with IIHF regulations. Hockey Canada has brought shame to the sport of hockey not only in Canada, but around the world.”
Sponsors sever ties with Hockey Canada over sexual assault mishandling
Hockey Canada has come under intense scrutiny since this spring for its mishandling of alleged sexual assaults by players, including two alleged incidents from 2003 and 2018.
The disgraced national organization saw sponsors jump ship and three provincial organizations speak out publicly this week alone.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has even floated the idea of creating a new governing body for sport.
Hockey Canada fails to grasp ‘serious’ situation amid outcry, says Trudeau
The organization first came under fire in May when it emerged that an undisclosed settlement had been paid to a woman who alleged in a $3.55million lawsuit that she had been sexually assaulted by eight players – including members of the country’s world junior team – after a 2018 gala in London, Ont.
Pierre Poilievre’s YouTube channel included a hidden misogynist tag to promote videos
Canada approves Pfizer’s bivalent recall targeting Omicron subvariants
The allegations have not been proven in court.
The federal government froze its funding immediately afterwards, while a number of sponsors followed suit.
In recent days, Telus, Tim Hortons, Canadian Tire, Sobeys, Scotiabank and Esso have all cut ties with Hockey Canada for the upcoming 2022-23 season.
Halifax Mayor Mike Savage and Moncton Mayor Dawn Arnold said they were “deeply concerned about Hockey Canada’s lack of judgment and professionalism,” in a joint statement released Friday.
The mayors say they are looking for a “meaningful change” within the organization before the world junior championships take place in their cities.
“As mayors, we discussed our growing concerns as the Hockey Canada situation unfolded and we believe accountability is paramount,” the statement read, noting that further discussions will take place. with board colleagues and provincial host partners.
Hockey Alberta announced in a statement Friday morning that it would not be withholding funding from the national body, however, senior director of communications Brad Lyon said that was not completely out of the question.
New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs said he was also not out of order to cut ties with the world junior hockey event and that he was “completely in agreement” with the Nova Scotia’s decision to monitor Hockey Canada’s response to the controversy before hosting the tournament.
Trudeau says it’s ‘absurd’ for Hockey Canada to resist leadership change
Hockey Canada’s summer of ugly headlines continued with the revelation of a fund partly fueled by minor hockey registration fees to pay for uninsured liabilities, including assault and sexual abuse claims. Halifax police have also been asked to investigate an alleged sexual assault by members of the 2003 junior men’s team.
Hockey Canada officials testified on Parliament Hill in July that the organization had paid out $7.6 million in nine settlements related to sexual assault and abuse complaints since 1989. That figure did not include this year’s payment to the plaintiff in London.
Hockey Canada responded by releasing an action plan to address security issues in sport and appointed former Supreme Court Justice Thomas Cromwell to lead a governance review.
At a heated committee meeting on Tuesday, MPs pressed Hockey Canada officials for answers on how the organization deals with sexual assault.
MPs question Hockey Canada executives on handling sexual abuse complaints
Former president Michael Brind’Amour, who resigned in August, and his successor, interim president Andrea Skinner, were interviewed during their appearance before the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage in Ottawa.
They both defended the national sport body’s handling of sexual abuse allegations dating back to 2018, saying appropriate action had been taken despite widespread criticism.
— with files from The Canadian Press.
© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.