High School Sports Highlights: Ben Olson’s Big Night Helps Lead Sun Prairie Boys’ Basketball Past Arrowhead | High school sports
STATE JOURNAL STAFF
Here’s who shone during Saturday’s high school sports action:
The stars of the night
Ben Olson, Sun Prairie Boys Basketball: Olson led the Cardinals with 26 points in a 76-68 win over Arrowhead. The senior was 6 for 8 from the free throw line. He leads the Cardinals with 19.4 points per game. His teammate Ethan Metz scored 18 points, including five 3-pointers.
Payton Hauge, McFarland Men’s Hockey: The junior forward scored the season‘s best four goals and added two assists in a 9-5 win over Monona Grove (8-14, 5-7 Badger). Hauge scored a hat trick in the space of 2:17 late in the second period, extending the Spartans’ lead (12-9, 8-4) to four at intermission. Simeon Pommerening added two goals and two assists for McFarland.
Reece Cordray, Verona Men’s Hockey: Cordray scored a hat trick in a 4-1 win over Janesville (12-8, 8-5 Big Eight). He scored one of those shorthanded goals as the Wildcats (16-5-1, 14-0-0) went undefeated in conference play. Owen Hebgen made 23 saves in the win.
People also read…
The Madison La Follette women’s basketball team: The Lancers (9-6, 8-5 Big Eight) saw four players score in double figures in an 84-20 win over Madison West (2-15, 1-13). Demetria Prewitt led all scorers with 20 points, followed by Alayna West (19), Aaliyah Smith (17) and Malia Green (14). West and Smith each recorded double-doubles, as West grabbed 10 rebounds and Smith recorded 10 assists. La Follette have won seven in a row ahead of their home game on Tuesday night with first-place Verona.
Joey Fuhremann, Waunakee Boys Basketball: Fuhremann scored 20 points in a 61-49 win over Watertown (8-11, 6-5 Badger). He scored 17 points in the second half, in which the Warriors (15-5, 9-2) outscored the Goslings 41-21 after trailing by eight at halftime. Teammates Andrew Keller (13) and Robert Booker (10) also scored in double figures. It’s the fourth straight win and eighth in the Warriors’ last 11 games.
Alexa Harris, Madison West Gymnastics: Harris won the all-around at Cardinal Invite with her score of 36.800. She won two events – the beam (9.500) and the uneven bars (9.250). Madison West scored 126.250, finishing seventh; Verona won with 142.025.
Clevon Easton Jr., Madison East Men’s Basketball: He scored 25 points in the Purgolders’ 58-55 win over Verona (10-7, 5-6 Big Eight). With the game tied 28-28 at halftime, the rookie scored 16 points in the second half. Madison East (11-6, 9-5) visits the Madison Memorial on Thursday night.
Of the box
- Madison Metro Lynx women’s hockey player Hannah Kasdorf had two goals and two assists in a 6-1 win over Viroqua (9-7-1, 7-3-1 Badger). Grace Bonnell added four assists as the Lynx (18-3, 10-0) scored all six goals in the final 27 minutes after trailing 1-0 in the second period.
- Madison Memorial men’s hockey player Elijah Elmer scored twice in a 6-1 win over Mosinee. His scores were part of a five-goal third period for the Spartans (12-10), who made it through after Mosinee tied the game 1-1 early in the period. Elmer has 15 goals this season. Teammates Aaron Jungers had a goal and an assist and Tyler Kreft saved 23 shots.
- Ty Turner of Monona Grove Men’s Hockey had two goals and an assist in a 9-5 loss to McFarland. His teammate Wyatt Groth also scored two goals.
- Davis Hamilton of Sun Prairie Men’s Hockey had a goal and an assist in a 6-2 loss to Stevens Point. Noah Wilk had two assists and Tyler Rauls scored the other goal for the Cardinals (10-11).
- Madison Edgewood’s Colin Senke and Finnley Conklin each won two individual events and swam on two winning relay teams at the Badger West Conference Championships in Baraboo. Conklin won the 200 yard individual medley (1:59.66) plus the 100 breaststroke (:57.47), and Senke won the 100 backstroke (:52.57) plus the 100 butterfly (:52.87). They each swam to win the 200m medley relay (1:37.99) and the 400m freestyle relay (3:14.65), helping the Crusaders place third out of five teams.
- The Lodi Boys’ Wrestling has seven wrestlers winning their weight class at the Capitol Conference tournament: Parker Heintz at 113 pounds (Fall, 1:17), Brady Dorshorst at 120 (SV-1, 8-6 ), Chandler Curtis at 132 (Fall, 2:57), Dean Finney at 138 (MD, 10-2), Zane Licht at 152 (Fall, 1:44), Wyatt Ripp at 220 (Fall, 3:40) and Brock Beyer at 285 (Fall, 3:01). Lodi won the tournament with 324 points.
- Sauk Prairie/Wisconsin Heights male swimmer Matthew Loy won the 200-yard freestyle (1:47.42) and placed second in the 100 freestyle (:48.25) to help the co-op win the championships of the Badger West Conference in Baraboo. McFarland’s Lyon Hall won the 500 freestyle (5:04.59) and was second in the 200 freestyle (1:48.0) to help the Spartans to second place.
- Jonah Dennis, 113 lbs (Fall, 3:27), Walker Hargrove, 132 (Fall, 1:47), Gavin Gall, 160 (Fall, 1:44) and Bryce Falk, 170 (Dec, 12-8) have each won their weight class in the Big Eight conference tournament. The Cardinals finished third with 182.5 points. Janesville Parker won the tournament with 202 points.
- Christopher Anderson, 106 pounds (Fall, 1:24), of Sun Prairie Wrestling, Parker Olson, 120 (Fall, 5:54) and Isaiah Horan, 195 (Dec, 14-10) each won their weight class at the Big Eight Conference Tournament. Sun Prairie finished second with 186 points.
- Bobby Shaw of Deforest Co-op Boys Hockey scored the lone goal in a 4-1 loss to Muskego/Norway. The goal tied the game late in the first period, but the Norskies have allowed three unanswered goals in the final two periods.
- Jonathan Loomans scored 16 points in Abundant Life/St. Ambrose Academy wins 67-46 over Albany in men’s basketball.
- Aspin Kelliher and Rylan Oberg of DeForest Girls Basketball both scored nine points in the Norskies’ 65-36 loss to Waupun.
High School Sports Scoreboard: Scores and Standings for Saturday’s Action
Madison LaFollette 69, Janesville Parker 61
Waunakee 61, Watertown 49
Sun Prairie 76, Arrowhead 68
Abundant Life/SAA 67, Albany 46
Madison East 58, Verona 55
Madison La Follette 84, Madison West 20
Platteville 62, Stoughton 57
Sun Prairie 88, Beloit Memorial 22
Madison Memorial 84, East Madison 68
McFarland 9, Monona Grove 5
Stevens Point 6, Sun Prairie 2
Reedsburg/Wisconsin Dells 5, Ashland 1
Madison Memorial 6, Mosinee 1
Beaver dam 4, Marquette 0
Cap City Cougars;8-3-0;11-10-0
Northern Pines 3, Icebergs 2
Capitol Conference Tournament: Lodi 324, Poynette 195, Luther Prep 173, Belleville co-op 147, Waterloo 128, Lake Mills 109, Columbus 107, Marshall 93, Lakeside Lutheran 68, Cambridge 61.
Big Eight Conference Tournament: Janesville Parker 202, Sun Prairie 186, Middleton 182.5, Janesville Craig 173, Verona 147, Madison Memorial 138.5, Madison East 130, Beloit Memorial 76.5, Madison La Follette 64.5, Madison West 9.
Badger Conference Tournament: Milton 327.5, Reedsburg 246.5, Stoughton 228, Beaver Dam 184.5, Portage 184, Watertown 149.5, Monroe 125.5, Fort Atkinson 119.5, Monona Grove/McFarland 117.5, Baraboo 117, Waunakee 104, Sauk Prairie 99, DeForest 92, Oregon 90, 28.
Invited Cardinal: Verona 142.025, Sun Prairie 137.900, Waukesha 133.425, Waunakee 131.300, Middleton 129.925, Wisconsin Rapids/Lincoln 128.875, Madison West 126.250, Oconomowoc 124.225.
Dodgeville invite: Dodgeville 133.00, Platteville 131.325, Viroqua 130.150, Baraboo 127.700, Southwest 127.275, Prairie du Chien 126.225, River Valley 126.175, Sauk Prairie 123.800, Jefferson 119.250, Whitewater 108.475, Westby 104.725.
Badger West Conference Championship: Sauk Prairie 456, McFarland 442, Edgewood 433, Oregon 399, Baraboo 247.
Big Eight Conference Championship: Madison West 480.5, Middleton 451.5, Sun Prairie 422.5, Madison Memorial 388.5, Verona/Mount Horeb 267, Madison East 86, Janesville Craig 77, Beloit Memorial 54, Madison La Follette 44, Janesville Parker 17.